Experience with Organizations

I have been part of a large organisation while working as an intern with J.P. Morgan. The company had many levels within their organizational structure due to the high scale of their business. As an intern I was at the lowest level of the structure and mainly worked and interacted with graduates, seniors, managers and HR. The interns were allocated into various streams within the M&A divisions such as technology, media and communications, energy and resources and consumer products. This creates a horizontal structure within the firm.

Throughout my internship, I realised how important the communication is in an organization. The level of communications and teamwork had to be exceptional to create efficiency in the team’s work. I took my park to increase this communication by talking with fellow interns to align our work and updating my manager with my progress. A higher level of communications and interactions also created higher morale in an organization. This was an important part of work was having close relationships with colleagues and a good work environment lead to a more productive organization. Throughout, the internship there were a lot of team bonding activities such as an outdoor adventure day an amazing race which allowed us to create better connections and teamwork.

Leadership and managementares also highly crucial in an organization. Leadership was displayed throughout the company to motivate employees and manage and direct the team towards goals. I remember my manager having a one of one sit down with each of interns every week to get feedback from us and help us get the most of this experience. My manger also analyzed my weekly performance and suggested ways to further improve my skills and work. Leadership and management also allow the various hierarchies and levels in an organization to be more cohesive. The work between different management levels becomes more aligned and creates efficiency.

Therefore, from my experience, I learned that there are many components within a successful organization. This includes areas such as leadership and communication which allows smother and efficient operation among various levels of management. 

Comments

  1. How many interns were in your immediate working group? That is among the several questions I had reading this. You gave a very broad strokes description of what you were doing, but really didn't provide much in the way of detail about that. You emphasized communication in what you wrote. It would have been good to provide one concrete example where communication benefitted performance.

    Then you discussed good morale. I assume that manifests in some way. Could you explain some consequence of good morale that wouldn't have happened in employees were less happy with the work?

    In future posts I'd like to see you amplify your points with detail and examples. I realize that this particular post was written last minute, so you might not have had the time to do that. If you start on the posts earlier in the week, you should be able to get at more interesting content with which to address the prompt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate your explanation and understanding of your role within the organization. I find that people I have worked with have been most effective in their roles when they understand their role within the overall structure. Working with other people in similar positions creates a strong sense of community and a strong network. Morale and culture is such a big part of today's workplace. The fact that you were able to build that within your experience is awesome. Especially with a well established and large organization such as JP Morgan, it is nice to see the investment in their interns. Thanks for sharing your experience!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Managing (future) income risk

Paul Milgrom